Xiaomi today announced the latest version of its MIUI operating system at an event in New Delhi. The updated MIUI 7 will bring in more customisation options, faster performance and improved battery life. Xiaomi says the new operating system improves overall performance by 30 percent and results in a bettery battery life by up to 10 percent.
Some of the new features include coloured system UIs, Baby Album, Auto DND, Visual IVR, Smart SMS Filter, Quick OTP, XXL Text and MIUI Data Saver.
Xiaomi will release MIUI 7 beta on August 24 to all handsets that are sold in the Indian market.
· System UIs: Xiaomi has incorporated themes more closely into MIUI 7, with a set of four new system UIs now available when you power up your phone. Choose from a luxurious pink UI inspired by high fashion (Rosé), a playful pastel pink UI (Pink Blush), a soft blue UI (Ocean Breeze), and a brown-gold UI for the sophisticated gentleman (High Life).
· Daily Lockscreen: Wake up to a beautiful new image every day, automatically chosen for you from a collection of gorgeous, high-quality photographs, including many award-winning ones.
· Baby Album: MIUI 7 makes use of face recognition technology to automatically identify babies and group their photos together, so parents can go back in time to relive every stage of their children’s lives captured in images. These photos can even be set as a slideshow on the lockscreen.
Calls made fun
· Showtime: Calls are made more fun with this playful feature in MIUI 7 that is coming to India first. Instead of just a name and number, or a static profile image, Showtime lets MIUI account users set an animated video that will play on their friends’ Mi phones when calling them.
“Made for India” features
· Visual IVR: To dramatically reduce the time required to navigate automated voice menus when you call a customer service hotline, Visual IVR shows the voice menu on the phone’s screen, so you can tap your selection quickly. Visual IVR in MIUI 7 has been further improved with support for more than 50 companies’ customer support numbers.
· Smart SMS Filter: To make sure you see what’s important in your SMS inbox, a new SMS feature intelligently filters service messages into a separate notification tab, resulting in a clutter-free inbox.
· Quick OTP: Due to the rise of e-commerce and online banking transactions, the one-time password (OTP) has become a way of life. To make the process of entering an OTP much easier, the built-in OTP recognition feature lets users easily copy an OTP code, at the very moment when the notification pops up.
More great features
· Auto DND: MIUI 7 makes Mi Band even more useful to manage your calls and notifications. When Mi Band detects that you are sleeping, it activates Do Not Disturb (DND) mode and silences your phone, making sure your sleep will not be interrupted by notifications. When you’re awake again, it turns off DND and you’re back to normal.
· XXL Text: Applying large fonts on smartphones can be a frustrating experience, because a lot of smartphone companies do not optimise their UI accordingly. MIUI 7 now offers XXL Text, which is a complete rework of the UI to make sure larger text is formatted to fit the screen perfectly.
· MIUI Data Saver: Powered by Opera Max compression technology, MIUI Data Saver will soon be available worldwide in the coming months, offering substantial data savings across all apps. By sending data such as images and videos to Opera’s cloud and compressing it before returning it to users’ phones, this feature can provide up to 50% data savings on mobile data connections.